What does Islam say about small acts of kindness? Read on..
Allah(swt) says in the Holy Quran :
1. Have you seen the one who denies the Recompense?
2. For that is the one who drives away the orphan
3. And does not encourage the feeding of the poor.
4. So woe to those who pray
5. [But] who are heedless of their prayer
6. Those who make show [of their deeds]
7. And withhold [simple] assistance.
“And withhold [simple] assistance.”
I am so guilty of this, almost everyday. Let’s do an evaluation of ourselves where we refuse simple helping acts on a regular basis. This is what I came up with.
1. Every time, a sister is being friendly and smiling at you, and if you are not smiling back, you are refusing a small act of kindness.
2. Not Letting other person use the lift, the taxi or the loo first.
3. Not giving a glass of water to our family member because he can do it himself and he is being too lazy.
4. Not giving up our seat for elderly, children and pregnant women. (You know when people used to do this for me, duas used to pour out from my heart for them.)
5. Not obeying mom’s little orders, because, we are busy with our phones or just being lazy.
6. Not removing a stone/obstruction from the path.
7. Not letting someone with few items to proceed you in the supermarket queue.
8. Not sharing with someone your pen/phone(for necessary call)etc.
9. Not switching on/off the light or not opening/closing the door for someone.
10. Not replying to someone’s message when asked for a small help just out of carelessness and procrastination.
There are many more small acts of kindness which we refuse every day. Do let me know in the comments the ones I missed..
May Allah soften our hearts and make us kind and helpful. Ameen.